Sunday, February 1, 2009

Differentiated Classrooms

A differentiated classroom is one in which the teacher offers a variety of different options and utilizes a variety of different teaching methods in order to reach all the students in their classroom. By providing options you can spur on interest in the assignment as the students now have some say in what they are doing. And by utilizing a variety of teaching methods you have a greater chance of meeting the needs of the students in your class and helping them succeed.

In my endeavor to become a master teacher I feel that one of my challenges will be to learn and master the techniques of differentiated classrooms. The main three difficulties that I see myself having with implementing a differentiated classroom are:

1) Accurately assessing where the students are in their understanding. Do to my limited experience I feel like I am not quite able to accurately assess the students abilities and current understandings. Through my education classes I am feeling more confident in this and have developed more tool to accomplish this task, but I have yet to get out, again, into the classroom to apply what I have learned. For this reason I feel a little uncertain about my abilities, but I am confident that I will be able to develop this skill.

2) Through my own educational experiences in school I have have had little exposure to differentiated instruction. Most of my experiences have been with direct instruction, and taking notes. Because of this and the fact that I personally feel that I lack creativity, I feel like I am going to find it difficult providing options for my students to choose from in order to engage them. I have a tendency to looking at a project and thinking "oh, this is how it should be done", not "hmmmm, what other ways could this objective be accomplished." Yet again as I am more and more exposed to ideas for different projects or assignments I am learning new ways to accomplish tasks. This will help me with thinking about different ways I can have the students approach certain topics and provide them with options.

3) Not only do I suffer with determining options for students to choose from, but I also find it difficult utilizing different teaching methods. This has alway been a challenge for me, trying to present material in more then one way. During my first teaching practicum my Teaching Associate and my University Advisor both encouraged me to "mix things up", but I found it easier said then done. The whole experience of determining different teaching methods, integrating them into my lesson plan, and executing them (especially executing them) I found difficult. When my method wasn't seeming to work to well, I would just revert back to direct instruction trying to explain it to the students. But through the presentations and activities in my classes I am finding myself more comfortable with the concepts of varied teaching methods and I find myself imagining myself using them in the classroom.

I believe that in time, with much work, I will be able to develop the skills necessary to integrate differentiated instruction into my classrooms; with the goal of creating a differentiated classroom. In about a months time I will be heading back out to teach, in my second practicum, and I am looking forward to the opportunity to getting new experience, testing out my new tools, and working towards being a better teacher. As long as I work hard at improving, I will be able to overcome my challenges and become a great teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment